Due to vodka's rather bland...sorry...neutral taste, there are hundreds more vodka cocktails to choose from than gin. So to even up the score, we have taken 6 classic vodka cocktails and replaced the voddy with gin! Hurrah!
Springing to fame thanks to Carrie and friends on SATC, the cosmopolitan is now a staple drink for a girls night out. Try swapping the vodka for gin and this classic cocktail will take on a whole new dimension!
Image: Primer Magazine
35ml triple sec
15ml lime juice
5ml cranberry juice
1. Combine all ingredients in a pint glass over ice and stir thoroughly.
2. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a lime wedge.
The ultimate hangover cure and brunch favourite, the bloody mary can be easily transformed into a red snapper by swapping the double measure of vodka for gin!
1. Combine all ingredients in a large glass.
2. Add ice and stir to chill. Garnish with a celery stalk, lemon wedge, salt and fresh cracked pepper.
60ml tomato juice
20ml lemon juice
Tabasco or chilli sauce, to taste
15ml Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
In all fairness, martinis work well with either spirit...however, we believe (as does Mr Bond) that a gin martini brings in another depth of flavour, with the help of our little chums: the juniper berries.
1. Stir ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled Martini glass.
2. Garnish with an olive or a lemon twist.
10ml dry Vermouth
A popular cocktail in the summer, thanks to its refreshing and zingy taste, the moscow mule becomes the gin gin mule - with added zing!
1. Muddle the mint leaves and syrup at the bottom of a shaker.
2. Pour in the gin and half a cup of ice and shake until cold.
3. Add in the ginger beer and stir, gently (if fizzy).
4. Fill a Collins glass with ice, pour in the cocktail and garnish couple of sprigs of mint and a wedge of lime.
15ml simple syrup
15ml lime juice
25ml ginger beer
handful of mint leaves
The espresso martini is another favourite with all the vodka sipping fans out there! But meet the better, ginnier version of this classic: the espresso gin flip...
1. Combine alll ingredients in a shaker and shake without ice.
2. Add ice and shake again.
3. Double strain into a coupe.
4. Garnish with coffee beans.
15ml sugar syrup
One whole egg
1 shot of Conker Coffee Liqueur (optional)
1 shot of espresso
Get your hit of vitamin C (and gin) by swapping out the voddy in your screw driver for gin...you'll soon be sipping on gin and juice...
Image: Hella Cocktail Co.
180ml orange juice
1. Combine vodka and orange juice in a highball glass and stir to combine.
2. Add ice.