It's the vegetable that is also a fruit and it is pretty much in season all year round: yes, we are talking about beautiful rhubarb! Combine it with your favourite gin and 'hey presto', you have your very own pink gin!
This process is too easy not to give a try, and even goes towards your 5-a-day. Kind of...
But first, our top 'rhubarb facts':
How to buy / what to look for:
Stems should be crisp, releasing sap when snapped.
Contains significant amounts of potassium and vitamin C.
Forced: late December to March
Field grown: April to September
Both types of harvest are fine, however field grown is slightly more flavoursome.
Rhubarb Gin, aka Pink Gin
Ingredients (makes 2 liters)
1kg Rhubarb stalks
400g caster sugar
800ml of your favourite gin
1. Wash and trim the stalks to get rid of the base and any leaves.
2. Cut the stalks into roughly 3cm lengths and put them in a large jar with sugar.
3. Give the rhubarb and sugar a good shake, seal the lid tightly and leave overnight.
4. After 24 hrs, add your favourite gin, seal the jar back up and give it another good old shake.
5. Leave in a cool dry place for about 4 weeks and give it a try! If you want your pink gin to be nice and clear, strain the liquor through a muslin cloth over a funnel. Or if you want more of a rustic look ladle it straight into glasses.
6. Serve with a sprig of mint and your favourite tonic, or topped with soda water for a refreshing long drink.
Time to sink the pink...(gin)