When it comes to mid-day desserts, it doesn’t get lighter or lovelier than these perfect vegan cheesecakes–which also happen to be packed full of ancient grains, thanks to a base of IndieBay. You can find everything you need to make them in your local supermarket. Talk about starting your weekend off right!
No Bake Vegan Strawberry Cheesecake
- Start by soaking your cashews. For your cashews, pour boiling hot water over and allow to soak for one hour (overnight, if you can!)
- In the meantime, make your puree. Top all of your strawberries, then put half into a food processor with your icing sugar. Blend until smooth, sieve into a bowl and chill. Slice the remaining strawberries and macerate in a bowl with balsamic vinegar.
- When your cashews are ready, drain and pat dry, then set aside. Soak your dates for 10 minutes in warm water, then drain and pat dry. To make your base, put your dates into a food processor and blend until they form a ball. Then add your crushed Indie Bay and nut mix, blitzing until you have a loose dough. Press your base into a lightly greased cupcake tin, or press down into the bottom of a greased spring form cake tin (note: sliding a layer of parchment paper under the m ix will make your cheesecake easier to remove!) Add a layer of strawberry puree over the base and put your tin in the fridge.
- Combine all of your filling ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth and silky. If your mix doesn’t come together, add a little more lemon juice, agave or coconut milk. Taste your finished filling and adjust for your personal preferences.
- Scoop your filling out into your tin and spread, forming neat layers of base, puree and filling.
- Tap a few times on the counter to get rid of any air pockets, wrap in cling film and freeze–this process should take about four hours. Top with your macerated strawberries, a few herb leaves and a scattering of crushed pretzel to finish.
200g pitted dates
120g of crushed Indie Bay pretzels and raw walnuts, mixed
For the cheesecake
180g raw cashews
50ml lemon juice
80g coconut oil
150ml coconut milk
120ml agave (or honey, if you aren’t vegan)
For the strawberries
400g fresh strawberries
75g icing sugar
4tsp Balsalmic vinegar
10g crushed pretzels
10g fresh basil or mint