Our resident gin chef, Carol Donner, whips up some romantic rose truffles using Kalevala Gin that are sure to steal the heart of any Valentine.
February is an often dark and cold month. Christmas seems so long ago, and spring even further away. But at least we have a little romantic respite with Valentine's Day to celebrate with our significant others. So here's a recipe to delight your loved one this Valentine's Day.
It’s a recipe from the heart and made with love, using the wonderful rose aromatics of this month's Kalevala gin from Finland. I was particularly excited to hear about Kalevala gin as my husband's family are Finnish and Finland has a special place in my heart...no pun intended.
Kalevala and Rose Truffles
100g plain chocolate (the best quality you can get)
2 tbsp double cream
50g unsalted butter
2 tbsp Kalevala Gin
1 tbsp crushed crystallised rose petals
1 tbsp Rose syrup (the kind you use in cocktails, available on the internet)
Cocoa powder, pink lustre dust, crystallised rose petals to decorate
1. Place chocolate, cream and butter in a heatproof bowl and melt over a saucepan of hot water, or in a microwave.
2. Stir until well mixed together.
3. Add the gin, rose petals and rose syrup and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and slightly thickened, then chill in a fridge overnight.
4. The next day, take teaspoons of the mix and shape into balls or, as I prefer, slightly uneven nuggets.
5. To decorate, roll in cocoa powder then a little pink lustre dust if desired, and press some crushed crystallised rose petals on top.
6. Chill overnight, then enjoy!