The Global Gin Masters have been announced! And several of the best gins in the world have been featured as Craft Gin Club Gins of the Month.
The Spirits Business, the trade publication for the industry, began holding Masters awards for a number of spirits categories a few years ago. The Gin Masters has become rapidly bigger, with over 80 gins entering the competition this year, including a number from the 35 distilleries in the UK that have put their stills online in the past five years.
We had the opportunity to take part in the judging of the competition tasting over 40 gins in one day. We have an amazingly difficult job:-) All judges were for the most part in consensus over which gins won silver (10 gins) and gold medals (16 gins) in each category and which were Masters (5 gins).
We’re proud to say that three of our Gins of the Month entered the competition and won! Our June 2015 Gin of the Month, Chilgrove Dry Gin, won a silver medal to add to its two other silver medals from the 2015 San Francisco Spirits Competition and the World Spirits Awards 2015 and its bronze medal from the 2015 International Spirits Challenge.
The East London Liquor Company - which provided our December 2014 Gin of the Month - scored big with two of its gins, bringing back to the distillery a gold medal for its London Dry in the Super Premium category and a silver for its Premium Batch No. 2 in the Contemporary category, adding to its silver at the International Spirits Challenge.
Our January 2015 Gin of the Month, Makar Glasgow Gin from the Glasgow Distillery Company, flew back to its home city as a Gin Master! It scored big as a Master in both the Super Premium and Contemporary categories.
The most celebrated distillery at the Masters for the third year in a row was the Swedish Distillery, Herno. Herno entered all of its gins and pretty much swept the Organic category:
- Herno Gin - won silver in the Super Premium category and silver in the Organic category
- Herno Navy Strength - won gold in London Dry Category, gold in the Super Premium category and silver in the Organic category
- Herno Export Strength - won gold in Ultra Premium category, silver in London Dry category and gold in Organic category
- Herno Old Tom - won Masters in the Old Tom category, Masters in the Super Premium category, gold in the Organic category
- Herno Juniper Cask Gin - won gold in cask-aged category and a Master in the Ultra Premium category
- Herno Sloe Gin - won Master in the Sloe Gin category
Congratulations to all distillers on their wins, especially those of our Gins of the Month!
Thanks to Craft Gin Club community member Laura Rangley for the great header image of her gin collection!