Today (Friday 22nd) is the Autumnal Equinox - which officially marks the end of summer in the Northern Hemisphere. An equinox occurs when the sun passes directly over the Earth's equator, resulting in a day and night that equal in length.
Just like you, we're going to miss the summer too...but don't despair! Autumn brings many wonderful things: big cozy knits, open fires, beautiful landscapes and...Autumnal gin cocktails! So put on your favourite wolly jumper and have a go at mixing up these seasonal beauties!
An autumnal twist on the classic negroni, tastes great on its own - especially after a cold, country walk with the dog!
50ml Martini Rosso
Half an orange
2 x whole cloves
- Using a vegetable peeler, carefully remove 8 pieces of zest from the orange and set aside. Squeeze the juice of the orange into a jug and add the cloves.
- Pour the gin, Martini and Campari into the jug and add plenty of ice. Stir well, then strain into a chilled, ice-filled tumbler or martini glass as quickly as possible. Serve immediately, with a piece of orange zest curled into a twist the glass.
- Curl up in front of the fire.
Orange GIN-ger Twist
This one has all the tastes of the season it it - Orange, ginger, cranberry and it also looks like an autumn sun set.
45ml cranberry juice
45ml freshly squeezed orange juice
45ml ginger beer
10ml sugar syrup
- Add the gin, cranberry juice, orange juice and sugar syrup to a cocktail shaker to a cocktail shaker, along with a handful of ice.
- Pour over ice in a tumbler style glass and top up with the ginger beer.
- Gently stir.
- Slip on woolly socks and enjoy.
You may have to wait for your sloe gin to be ready for this one - alternatively nip out and buy some so you can enjoy this beauty ASAP!
40ml white rum
40ml sloe gin
40ml apricot brandy
30ml lime juice
20ml sugar syrup
1 x Lemon slice to garnish
- Add all the ingredients to a cocktail shaker, fill with ice and shake vigoursly.
- Strain cocktail into a champagne glass and garnish with lemon peel, after rubbing around the rim of the glass.
- Wrap up in a blanket and sit in the garden to watch the autumn sun go down.
A Chill in the Air
Zesty and crisp - just like a autumnal morning walk.
30ml lemon juice
30ml orange juice
15ml ginger sugar syrup
1 x slice of ginger and coriander to garnish
- Add all the ingredients and ice to a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a tumbler style glass and garnish with a slice of fresh ginger and coriander.
- Enjoy with a large, steam bowl of chilli.
The spices, ginger and apples in this one means it's basically autumn in a glass.
15ml spiced rum
30ml apple juice
15ml ginger sugar syrup
1 x slice apple to garnish
- Add all the ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake.
- Pour into a martini or coupe glass and garnish with a slice of apple.
- Plump the cushions on the sofa, close the curtains and enjoy your cocktail with your favourite black and white film.