If you hadn’t noticed, London Cocktail Week has been running full steam all week - but it’s just going to start running faster this weekend! Here’s a list of events for Thursday through Sunday including all of the fun for gin lovers. Cheers!
ALL WEEKEND EVENTS
Whisky seems to be dominating LCW according to the number of events and popups. But three gin happenings are well worth a visit. Firstly there’s the Tanqueray Art Deco Bar at the LCW hub at 51 Poland Street where the No. 10 mixologists will offer a range of Tanqueray cocktails including a French 75 Martini that guests get to mix themselves. Ford’s Gin is taking wristband holders through tasting sessions at Happiness Forgets in Hoxton Square with its sister spirits as well as mixing special cocktails whilst presenting the “wonderful world of cocktails, both classic and modern.” Perhaps most interestingly, LCW goers can join Vestal Vodka in making gin with the London Gin Voyage on the World’s First Floating Distillery. There’s also the World Class Bartender’s Studio where professional bartenders will attempt to demystify the art of mixing drinks and visitors can see if they have what it takes to be a world class bartender.
- Tanqueray Art Deco Bar
- London Gin Voyage - the world’s first floating distillery
- The Happiness Sessions with Ford’s Gin
- The Auchentoshan Takeover
- Auchentoshan and Ales Workshop
- From NYC to London via Scotland with Drambuie
- The Art of the Old Fashioned - Deconstructing the Classic American Cocktail
- Chivas Whisky Bar @Ruffians and The Art of Blending with Chivas Regal
- Haig Club Dining Room Masterclass and Pop Up
- A History of Scottish Drinks in 90 Minutes!
- The Dead Parrots Presents the Flying Circus with Monkey Shoulder
- Buffalo Bourbon Empire
Thursday night seems to be French and Mexican night with Chambord Rasberry Liqueur, Courvoisier Cognac and Monin liqueurs and syrups are joined by Herradura Tequila, Ocho Tequila and a Margarita Masterclass. Of course there are also gin alternatives! Portobello Road Gin will invite the historically curious for a gintriguing walk through the Gin Craze and the spirit’s history and Caorunn is mixing up new bespoke cocktails for “expats, bon-vivants, fashionistas and global citizens” at designer clothes shop Kestin Hare. You can also have a taste of UK and US tapas paired with different cocktails at the House of Vans Supper Club.
France & Mexico
- On Board with Chambord
- Courvoisier: the Toast of Paris
- Monin & Herradura Masterclass and Consumer Cocktail Competition
- Ocho Tequila Vintage Tasting
- Margarita Masterclass with Ocho Tequila
Friday’s main event for us Gin Lovers is being held at the Bermondsey Distillery with the folks behind Jensen’s Gin. Jensen’s distiller Dr. Anne Brock and gin expert David T. Smith will take people through five and a half hours of pure ginjoyment showing them how to distill their own gin, find the right botanical blends and other production methods.
- One night only with Nikka Whisky’s Brand Ambassador
- Last Great Malts Masterclass and Bar Take Over @ Mussle Man
- Around Brazil in 40,000 Alembics
Bring your reading glasses! Edinburgh Gin wants to take you through the history of gin in literature including the James Bond series, Dickens’ books, as well as American writers in Paris Hemingway and Fitzgerald. Guests will be served four cocktails and an “Edinburgh Gin Oyster Garden”. To discover more about gin complements, check out Australian vermouth company Regal Rogue as they take you through the history of the wine and botanicals aperitif or Thomas Henry Tonics from Berlin who are mixing cocktails at their party in Bethnal Green.
Perhaps the most fun of the evening, however, will be watching teams of bartenders from the top cocktail bars in London, New York, Paris and Singapore compete to create innovative cocktails in the 24hr Bar Build Competition in Shoreditch.
- The Reverse Rogue Hour with Regal Rogue Vermouth
- Thomas Henry Cocktail Evening
- Titini and Cake - raising money for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- DIY Classic Cocktails by Absolut
- Bloody Mary Masterclass
If you’ve still got enough energy to get out of bed and keep drinking on Sunday morning, then head over to the East London Liquor Company for the Wrap Party - the last shebang of LCW 2015. ELLC makes gins, vodkas and is beginning to barrel some of London’s first whiskies. They were also featured as a Craft Gin Club Gin of the Month in December 2014!
You could also learn about the Peruvian brandy Pisco at the Pisco Cocktail Masterclass, recommended for drinking at high altitudes:-)